I’m returning home today from my first long weekend trip of the summer. For once I didn’t over pack, but had plenty of wardrobe options for every occasion and didn’t struggle once with what to wear.
The secret was in “the package.” Putting together a sportswear package eliminated having to do much thinking. By keeping the color range simple and choosing pieces that easily coordinated, deciding what to wear was easy. For this weekend I chose navy blue and white as the base colors, with red, pink, navy and purple tones as the accent colors.
What I packed:
- One pair of dark denim jeans, two shorts – white solid and red, white, and blue check.
- One long sleeve and one short sleeve patterned shirt which both worked easily with the jeans or white shorts.
- I brought a navy solid polo and crisp white T-shirt to wear with the checked shorts. I Could have easily worn red instead.
- My swim trunks were also red, white and navy blue.
- A navy cotton v-neck sweater and a light weight jacket rounded out the clothing, for the cooler early morning and late evening weather, and in case it rained (which it did not.)
- Gray canvass slip-ons and navy blue sneakers were my shoes…worn with a blue belt.
Note: Had I anticipated doing anything requiring a more formal look I would have packed my new “heightened blue” blazer.
Travel for leisure should be as care free and enjoyable as possible. Packing well is a good start. Depending on the length of your trip, pick one or two neutral colors as your base colors to build a sportswear package around and balance solids with patterns…heavy on the solids for simple elegance.
Note: Neutral colors include: navy, gray, black, brown, tan, and white.
- Launder and try on anything new before you pack it. (Laundering will remove any surface chemicals that may remain from the manufacturing process. And make sure it fits.)
- Use a packing checklist to make sure that you don’t forget anything important.
- Did you remember UV protection and sun shades?
Safe travels this summer. Make memories! Have fun!